Friday, December 28, 2012

printing onto a fabric cork board

This is my very first post ever and ironically I'm at my parents house not in my dorm...but that's ok because I'm still making this for my dorm. I've made these in the past for my dorm wall but I wanted to do a post to show you how since several people have asked me. 

MATERIALS | in order of use
1.       A piece of cork (I’m using a 24” x 12” roll from Hobby Lobby that I got for $4.99)
2.       An IRONED piece of fabric 2” longer and wider than your piece of cork (so mine is 26” x 14”)
3.       A hot glue gun (high temp works best)
4.       A spoon
5.       Microsoft powerpoint
6.       A credit card or other rigid card (gift card, library card, etc)
7.       A squirt bottle with water in it
8.       Paper towel
9.       Scissors
10.   Wax paper (NOT parchment paper)
11.   A piece of cardstock
12.   Scotch tape
13.   An INKJET printer (not laser!)



STEP ONE | attach fabric to the cork board
1.       Heat up your glue gun
2.       Lay your fabric face down, then lay your cork on top of it, so there’s a 1” border  of fabric surrounding the cork.

a.       If your cork came in a roll like mine did, you may need some time to let it sit out so it can flatten.  I got a couple of super big family photo albums and laid them on top of the cork for about an hour to flatten it.
3.       To hot glue the fabric, I start with the corners. Put a dab of hot glue on each corner, then fold it over and press hard with your spoon. You could use your fingers, but I don’t want to burn myself, so I use a spoon.

4.       I then put quick line of hot glue on each edge of the corkboard and quickly fold the fabric over and press down with my spoon. For the 24” sides, I split it up into 2 sections since the glue dries really fast.

This is what it looks like after all the edges are glued down (don't mind the books, my cork board still wants to roll up right now).


STEP TWO | design what you want to have printed
Personally, I love quotes. I’m making this as a catchall to post little sticky notes, to do lists, etc. so I’m going to put a motivational quote and a bible verse so my little college brain doesn’t get too stressed when I’m hanging up my to-do list on my cork board.
1.       Go to Microsoft powerpoint, click on the little textbox icon, and type whatever you want. 

2.       Double click the textbox, then right click, and click ‘save as picture’

a.       Now delete the words you just typed so there’s room for you to open your picture
3.       Once you’ve saved your text as a picture,  go to the top left corner, click ‘insert’, then ‘picture’, and find your picture that you just saved and click ‘open’.

4.       Click on your picture, then under the format tab, click ‘rotate’ then ‘flip horizontal’. This makes your picture reversed so you can transfer it to your wax paper.


STEP THREE | prep your fabric
1.       Get a credit card out and put it next to your fabric cork board
2.       Spray your fabric with water from your squirt bottle so it’s a bit damp, then lightly blot with a paper towel to get off any excess water (you only need it to be slightly damp, but this step is crucial or else you will get a very light image)

STEP FOUR | print your design onto your wax paper
1.       Use your scissors to cut out a sheet of wax paper 8” x 10.5” (slightly smaller than the sheet of paper)
2.       Very carefully tape your wax paper to the center of your 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper. Put one small piece of tape on each of the four corners of the wax paper and the center of each side.
3.       Put your piece of wax-paper-paper into the printer, and print your reverse image with an inkjet printer. Be very careful not to touch the ink when it comes out of the printer!


STEP FIVE | transfer your design to your fabric
1.       I have two images, so I cut my wax paper in half, then gently peel it off of the piece of paper.
2.       Place your wax paper over your fabric exactly how you want it, then place it on the fabric. Be very careful because once you place it on the fabric, there’s no turning back.
3.       Keeping the wax paper as still as possible, scrape it with a credit card so all of the ink transfers over.

4.       Now you’re done! I’d probably allow about 30 minutes for it to dry completely. I then just attached it to my wall with push pins. Once I get back to my dorm in January, I'll use command strips so it looks a bit less haphazard.  


If you have any questions about any specific instructions or products, then just ask in a comment and I promise I’ll respond!


No comments:

Post a Comment